[Dixielandjazz] The Key to Great Sax

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Feb 10 18:17:06 PST 2008

It's sort of interesting because I have been saying forever that the shape
and size of your oral cavity makes a huge difference in the way you sound.
I equate it to whistling.  You shape the inside of your mouth and thought
much like whistling.  In other words it changes with pitch.  High school
level sax players and most clarinet players who switch to sax have a nasal,
pinched sound because they are forcing everything forward including the
tongue and pinching off the sound.  It's like a singer who isn't opening his
mouth much.

I can take a player and get him to change from one sound to the other in
just a few minutes.  Trouble is old habits die hard and they revert
sometimes.  That's all the time it took for a pro to open my sound up but I
asked him the right questions and many just don't know what to ask or think
they sound great or like what they are doing and for them there is no hope.
All I do is what he did for me.

I'll tell you what though, that WOW moment when you get someone to produce
that full great sound and see the look on their faces is worth a million
bucks.  I have never figured out why some of them go back to their old sound
and just don't seem to get it.
Larry
StL