[Dixielandjazz] Sending large files via the Web

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Sat Feb 9 13:26:48 PST 2008

Several subscribers have discussed ways of emailing large files as attachments to an email note.

I have found that there is a fairly low file-size limit on emailed attachments through the services I use, and I have found a vastly superior way to send large files.

Use yousendit.com, a free service that will enable you to send files up to 2 GB free of charge.

The home page includes the instructions for how to use the service.

You list the email address of the intended recipient(s), then upload the file to yousendit.com via a mouse-click or two.

The recipient gets an email message instructing to connect to a listed Web address with a browser, and the file can be downloaded directly from that address to the recipient's computer.

When I send a number of files to the same recipient, I zip them together into one large zip file (you can send only one file at a time) that the recipient can unzip after receipt.

Larry Swain

(Backup piano-player of last resort, Boston area)