[Dixielandjazz] Playing free

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Feb 7 17:29:32 PST 2008

I have thought about why people play for free  and there are several reasons
I think and none of them are silly.

The first is that many musicians are looking for experience.  These are the
same one's that fall for the line "you will get exposure" whatever that is.
They haven't a clue as to how the music business works, how to get paid for
it or what they are worth.  This is a skill that's learned and unfortunately
it's usually learned over a period of years.  I was lucky and there were
lots of jobs around for someone who wasn't a great performer.

That brings up the fact that they aren't very good or don't want to spend
the time that it takes to get up to a reasonable proficiency level.  The
performer may actually be good but doesn't think he can cut it which I find
sad.  The perception is just as important as the actual notes coming out.

Freebee groups usually form for social reasons in addition to performing.
It's possible to take a bunch of relatively poor musicians or singers and
rehearse for a period of time and then go perform at a reasonable if not
professional level.  None of which can come even close to the pro or semi
pro but as a group under fair conditions can be entertaining.

The third reason is the unscrupulous person who is hiring the musicians or
not as the case may be.  They know that there are a certain number of groups
or individuals that will tumble to the - it's a charity, you'll get exposure
or free advertising, it's a public service, etcetera, etcetera.  Those
individuals are trying to limit the amount paid for entertainment.

One of the biggest problems is that many organizations have people who's job
it is to raise funds and limit spending.  You can get a Master's Degree in
fund raising.   The worst are the Church's followed closely by charities.
They always have their hands out and they just aren't picky about what they
get.  These are the bottom line guys, the bean counters who want diversions
more than entertainment.  They use people pure and simple for their
organization weather it's a corporation or charity.  Anyone who has been in
the business for anytime at all will recognize the type no matter how nice
or slick they are.

This is the way it goes.   I call it the Mickey Rooney - Judy Garland scam.
Hey kids we are going to have a battle of the bands.  You will get exposure,
blah, blah, blah. The entry fee is $75 and the winning band gets $300.  Four
bands show up and each play for 45 minutes.  What a plan.  This actually
happened at a local church.  The church got free music for which they
charged admission and the bands traded money with three getting stiffed.
Every one of those bands thought they would win and get more jobs off of it.
Truth is the musicians weren't winners and the winning band only got $225
because $75 was theirs in the first place.  It's a scam but there's always
someone new coming up that will fall for it.

The amateur doesn't have the perspective.  He has his own axe to grind.
Going out and performing for a couple of hours with a group of friends and
then having everyone tell them how wonderful they are is what they enjoy and
want to do.  They may be fairly wealthy people.  I know several musicians
who are quite wealthy men who play for not much more than gas money.  To
them it's not the money.

Lets face it.  The schools are pumping out thousands upon thousands of
musicians each year.  Most of them just go away.  There is a large group
that become hobby musicians or basement bands.  One of my nephews has enough
equipment set up in his basement to make a pro band envious.  Even the worst
bands score once in a while.

When I started there were many playing opportunities that just don't exist
for musicians today and we have a situation where they are almost paying for
the opportunity to play.  Here is an example:  The Shriner's drum and Bugle
corps will show up for a parade and get $100.  If the 20 or so members
simply didn't show up and contributed the money they spent on gas they would
get a whole lot more than the one or two hundred dollars especially since a
lot of them drive 50 miles one way to get to some of these things.  Then
after that kick in $5 for uniform wear and tear and cleaning.  They are
actually paying to play.  The money goes into the units treasury and they
have a Christmas party or something on it.  At the end of the year they all
pat themselves on the back because they raised $1500 or $2000.

Today we have a situation where people are almost climbing all over
themselves to perform.

For the pro, there is hope.  With clever targeted advertising, and a good
act you can overcome all this.  So far I have booked 5 St. Patrick's day
gigs and I played six Mardi Gras parties. I had one cancellation but I did
three on Fat Tuesday.  This is against the flow of all of this.  If you have
a quality act and want to work it some there is no reason why you should sit
at home.

I have to tell you it's a multi group of skills that you have to develop to
book regularly.  Just being a good musician isn't enough but if you have
those skills you don't have to be the top guy either.  It's not about the
music.  Music is only one part.

I don't think of them as silly but I do know that you are swimming against
the current and it's something to overcome.  You overcome it by absolute
reliability, a uniform product to sell and a sales strategy.  None of those
things are usually possessed by the amateur groups.
Larry
St. Louis