[Dixielandjazz] Fresno Mardi Gras

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 7 15:34:12 PST 2008

For those interested, Hal Smith and Clint Baker are putting on two sets of their El Dorado Jazz Band Tribute, including original EDJB member Mike Baird on clarinet and -- for having played extensively with EDJB cornetist Ray Ronnei -- Vince Saunders on banjo.  (We would have had original member Mike Fay on bass, but he's otherwise tied up with another band commitment, also at Fresno.)  If at all possible, try and attend one or both of these two sets.

Also, as a special bonus, Hal has authorised me to distribute a complimentary CD of highlights from the El Dorado's Aug 1965 Pabst Brewery concert.  The CD audio is only one generation removed from a pristinely preserved original reel-to-reel tape in the possession of listee Bert Thompson, so other than the general fracas that was the concert, the sound quality is top-notch.  I'm bringing plenty of copies, so feel free to stop by and grab one.