[Dixielandjazz] Playing free

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 7 07:17:28 PST 2008

> "Judy Eames" <jude at judyeames.co.uk> wrote (polite snip)
>

> John (Wilder) wrote
>
> If you can write so clearly when "groggy" you must be superhuman
> when you're
> fully awake :-)
>
> Thank you for your perspective.
>
> I can guess that Steve and possibly one or two others will pick out
> the
> following as justification for further "deriding" :
>
>> before the Dixieland festivals at sea began,
>> he could often book Dixie bands on the ships for good money.  Since
>> the
>> festivals have proliferated on the ships, he has not been able to
>> book
>> even
>> one Dixie band direct with the cruise line, as they just tell him
>> that if
>> they need a Dixie band they'll just wait for a festival at sea and
>> then
>> ask
>> one of the performing bands to do and "extra" concert or two for
>> free for
>> the other passengers.

No need to deride, Jude. I'm just relieved that someone finally posted
the reality of the business of music and how the freebie folks ruin
it. As for justification, shoot, anyone can justify anything including
playing free if they have an interest involved. Bottom line is that
playing free is fine IMO as long as  one doesn't screw up the music
market. The reverse? . . . well you all know how I feel about that.

BTW: "Lurker" John Wilder is a kick ass jazz pianist living on the
Left Coast. I had the pleasure of working with him in a land far away
a few years ago and was amazed at his talent and performance. He is a
consummate,  professional IMO.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone