[Dixielandjazz] Tip Optional - Was Cruises

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Feb 6 11:56:06 PST 2008

Stephen G Barbone wrote regarding tips aboard Holland America cruises:

 >> "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

>> Steve, If I am on a gig and booze is supplied, fine.  If not, and if  I
>> want
>> booze, then I will buy it myself.
>
> Bravo, but that isn't relative to my point. <grin>

Oh yes it is.  Yu claimed that because booze is not supplied, that the
musicians are being taken advantage of.

>> BTW- The JazzSea Cruises are "Tip optional."
>
> I don't think that's the case anymore. I heard they are now mandatory.
> (at least for
> the musicians) And rightly so because the crew/staff are woefully
> underpaid. Those who cruise and do not tip are cheapskates.

I see by Jim Kash's post, quoting Holland America's web site, their policy
has changed a little bit since the last cruise I played.

While a $10 a day service charge is added to your bill, it can be adjusted
at the end of the cruise, meaning that the tips are still optional.

And I repeat, getting paid in cash, check, or goods, $400 to $500 a day for
taking a wonderful weeks cruise to Alaska sounds like a pretty good deal to
me.

--Bob (Where's my oars) Ringwald