[Dixielandjazz] BEER

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 5 04:32:47 PST 2008

Sam Adams and some other splendid brews, I remember one I had at Birdland several years ago, are evidence that universal condemnation of United Sates beers is defamatory of some.
I will admit that the first American beers I drank were watery, but at the time I was too young to be drinking them legally, and Henry Allen's name was on the board outside the Metropole in New York.
I will grant that some British beers merit the scorn of Thommo the demon fast bowler of yore, not least a now custard-topped brew under a formerly noble name, a pint of which lost ichor the late Al Grey much relished in my company, but not all. Perhaps the quality of Sam Adams could be a harbinger of a less parochial and narrow sense of the outside world than currently obtains in some areas of the USA?
Give good beer its due!  Cheers!  Prost!  Skol!