[Dixielandjazz] Playing For Free -- Jazz Cruises

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Mon Feb 4 10:34:04 PST 2008

I completely agree with Bob on the cruise argument, and really resent Steve
calling us all "stupid" for doing them, especially when you cite "facts"
that are demonstrably wrong, like "room and partial board."

The entire paragraph Steve writes below does not apply to any of the cruises
I know about. I've done around 20 with Bob Schulz, and 20 more with my band,
and on each one, each band member was able to bring a companion completely
free of charge and we were basically treated as passengers, not as employees
of the ship.

By my calculation, the value to us of being able to go on these cruises and
to bring our spouses or significant others all expenses paid was about $2400
for the cruise we just returned from. There is no 10-day period in my entire
professional life, whether it be playing music, writing software, painting,
or building guitars that I made that much money for so little "work" and had
the equivalent of a vacation at the same time.

I also think that our doing these cruises has absolutely nothing to do with
being asked to play for free in exchange for tickets and a hot-dog for
events like a baseball game or other non-charity commercial event. The scale
of the return value is completely different.

Finally, the musicians who "pay to play" on these cruises, like the 40
banjos and the JazzSea Jammers are generally not professional at all, and
treat the cruise as a "workshop" or jazz camp.

 > On the other hand, I have nothing but contempt for bands that play for
> free. If they didn't do it, we wouldn't have folks asking for
> freebies. And along that line of reasoning, I deplore the bands that
> play on OKOM cruises for room and partial board. Of course, alcohol is
> not included, nor are the mandatory tips to the crew ($100 per person)
> and so you are paying to play. That cruise operator whose butt you
> kiss, profits mightily from your stupidity. And now there are cruises
> where musicians pay full price, just to get a chance to play. (imagine
> 40 banjos on the most recent one)That's even worse. Who among us will
> write to the cruise operator and raise hell?
> Or to our friendly musicians who facilitate this stupidity?

Steve, you really ought to get your facts straight and think a little bit
before writing such know-it-all drivel.

That's all I have to say, so response is not necessary.

Scott Anthony