[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free?

Bill Hildebrandt whildebrandt at att.net
Sun Feb 3 17:52:33 PST 2008

In order to raise money to help preserve a tract of 425 acres of hilly
forest land with miles of hiking trails, and sitting over our town's
major aquifer, from being stripped and built up with mc-mansions, we
donated 2 one hour musical programs to be auctioned off at a fund
raising auction. The gigs went for $400 and $500. I suppose this could
be construed as "playing for free" or you could look at it as if the
highest bidders paid us and we donated the fee to the cause. Whatever,
we paid for free.
BTW, we raised the money, the land is preserved and can never be developed.
...Bill Hildebrandt, leader, head* arranger, banjo, vocals, and kazoo
The New Farmington River Royal Ragtime Ramblers (banjo, washboard,
trombone, washboard, kazoo, and clarinet [when we can get one])
West Simsbury, CT
* no charts, all head arrangements.