[Dixielandjazz] Free Music

eddiemetzjr at cfl.rr.com eddiemetzjr at cfl.rr.com
Fri Feb 1 06:41:47 PST 2008

Dear DJML,

I don't subscribe to DJML but sometimes get an e-mail forwarded to me by my dad or Bob Ringwald. This e-mail is in response to Bob Ringwald's e-mail to the baseball team looking for free music.

Bob's response to this knucklehead was totally appropriate. I wish more of us would stand up to organizations (jazz festivals included) who say "But look at the exposure you'll get."

No wonder it's the same old bands at the same old festivals. It's because they are working for the same old money and and in some cases (and you know who you are) even less money now than in the years past.

The part time guys who work a festival or gig because they look at it as a "weekend away from home playing music"  no matter what it pays are what have caused this. Playing a cruise for free because you can take your wife or significant other, expenses paid, is another peeve of mine.

All I can say is  "You get what you pay for!"

Thanks.
Eddie Metz, Jr.