[Dixielandjazz] Working for Free was Stumptown

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 13:53:16 PST 2008

I think it is very funny that we castigate the marketing Exec who asks
if Stumptown will play free. Especially when there are so many bands
around that do play for free. And even a few of our own noble OKOM
Jazz Societies have eagerly presented bands that  play free for their
concert programs.

I applaud the marketing exec  for asking. That's his job. I deplore
the comments we direct at him for doing his job. The dialog should be
between the exec and Stumptown.

On the other hand, I have nothing but contempt for bands that play for
free. If they didn't do it, we wouldn't have folks asking for
freebies. And along that line of reasoning, I deplore the bands that
play on OKOM cruises for room and partial board. Of course, alcohol is
not included, nor are the mandatory tips to the crew ($100 per person)
and so you are paying to play. That cruise operator whose butt you
kiss, profits mightily from your stupidity. And now there are cruises
where musicians pay full price, just to get a chance to play. (imagine
40 banjos on the most recent one)That's even worse. Who among us will
write to the cruise operator and raise hell?
Or to our friendly musicians who facilitate this stupidity?

Stubby Heist had the right idea. He was contracted for money to play
music. Anything beyond that sucks.

I agree with Scott that we professionals should be outraged, but I
also think there are plenty of musicians  who should also be taken to
task. "We" (musicians, that is) are just as much to blame for the
sorry state of playing for pay/paying to play as anyone else.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone