[Dixielandjazz] Stumptown Jazz

Steve Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 11:42:01 PST 2008

Hello to all, and thanks for you help in finding Bob French!

snip...
> As a professional musician, I am insulted by your request for a band to
> play for your event for free.
snip...

It is so odd to be hearing you discussion on freebies, because it is EXACTLY
how my career with Celebrity Cruises ended.  We got into a double code red
on the Century (last ship I was on) and the management thought it would be a
great idea to ask for "volunteers" to clean our personal work areas.
(double code red means an inordinate number of people were experiencing
gastrointestinal illness...  (i.e. stomach flu = Norwalk Virus)
Soon it became less of a "request" and more of an order and we were
scheduled times and locations where we were supposed to "clean and sanitize
the ship".
I told them that I - 1) didn't like my contract being changed (I was NOT
hired as a cleaner), 2) I wasn't about to work as a cleaner for free, since
I was hired as a weekly paid employee, not an hourly worker! and 3) since I
received NO training as a professional cleaner, I would refuse their, oh, so
wonderful offer!  In less than a week I was dismissed from the ship and sent
packing!  So that's what it's like working my dream job at sea :-) ha ha ha

Like I said earlier, I'm SO glad to be out of there!
ALL the VERY Best,
Steve "Stubby" Heist

223 Chemin Du Flueve
Pointe-Des-Cascades, Quebec J0P 1M0