[Dixielandjazz] Oh No, Woody again. <grin>

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 08:00:03 PST 2008

Woody and the boys drew 3000 fans in Warsaw Poland for a 2 hour
concert. Damn, that's more audience than most 3 day OKOM festivals
draw here in the USA.
Cheers,
Steve Barbone
December 30, 2008 - NY TIMES - by Dave Itzkoff
Role Shift in Warsaw: Woody Allen Plays Clarinet

At least as far back as “Take the Money and Run,” Woody Allen has
tried to draw attention away from his musical abilities. (As a
frustrated cello teacher recalls of his character, Virgil Starkwell,
in that fake documentary: “He had no conception of the instrument. He
was blowing into it.”) But on Sunday Mr. Allen shared his clarinet
skills with an audience of nearly 3,000 listeners at a concert in
Warsaw, The Associated Press reported. He played traditional jazz
numbers with his New Orleans Jazz Band at the concert, at Sala
Kongresowa, a rare event because Mr. Allen seldom performs outside New
York. “We will do our best to entertain you,” Mr. Allen told the
audience, according to The A.P., before the start of the two-hour
show, during which he performed several solos. Beyond Mr. Allen’s
appearances at the Cafe Carlyle, his clarinet work can be heard in the
score to “Sleeper” and in the documentary “Wild Man Blues,” about his
band’s 1996 tour of Europe.