[Dixielandjazz] Yet another early Brazilian music style that might be of interest to this list!

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Dec 29 22:02:26 PST 2008

Hi all,

While doing more research on Choro (getting deep into the one book
written in English I have found on that subject)  I came across
another long developing Brazilian music form that is not very well
known in the USA - Frevo! (Boiling!)

  From what I have read, it originally developed out of military brass
band style music from North East Brazil 100 years ago - marches and
polkas, mostly - but now it is a cooking hot carnival jazz dance!  One
interesting tradition is the use of the Umbrella (furled or open) in
dancing to this music.

<http://cliquemusic.uol.com.br/en/Styles/Styles.asp?Status=MATERIA&Nu_Materia=898
 > has some interesting info, but I have not found any early
recordings yet. There are some more modern versions of Frevo on
Youtube, but I will post any older recordings I can find. Again, I am
sure that some other members of this list will have better references
and links than I have found so far!

Anyway,

Happy Gnu Ear and all!

Dave Richoux