[Dixielandjazz] Krupa / Goodman Centenary DVD / CD and events in the UK

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 23 09:51:20 PST 2008

Merry Christmas everyone.
Unashamed Plug

I’m delighted to announce the release of my first DVD/CD box set of two
discs, featuring my Trio with James Evans, clarinet & Paolo Alderighi,
piano.

Watch a ten minute preview on YouTube at:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WPf3SFT4Gm8

The DVD is issued to mark the centenary of Gene Krupa (born 15th January
1909) and Benny Goodman.

Order the DVD/CD here
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/popup/1036.htm

The Box 2 disc set is just £16 including postage and is available on
line from my website:
You can pay securely by PayPal.

Why not also buy ‘Sing Sing Sing’ by my Swing Band which also features
James Evans and will perfectly complement the new release.

Order Sing Sing Sing CD here
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/popup/1035.htm

My aim with the new release, was to try to capture the heat and
excitement of the original Benny Goodman Trio, which featured Krupa’s
driving drums and the exquisite Teddy Wilson on piano.

I was lucky to secure the services of young James Evans – an
extraordinarily talented clarinet virtuoso, and the even younger Italian
piano genius, Paolo Alderighi.

If you like your jazz polite and precious, then this album is not for
you. This is hot music – even the ballads are played with conviction and
drive.

There are 14 tacks on the DVD with an extra 3 on the audio CD.

The video was shot at my Stratford upon Avon William Shakespeare Jazz
‘n’ Swing Festival in 2007 and in a studio setting and a live concert at
St John’s Arts Centre in Old Harlow in February 2008.

CD PLAYED ON THE BBC
Paul Barnes played ‘Gone With The Wind’ from the new CD – a showcase for
James Evans, playing bass clarinet, on his BBC  ‘Gold For Grown-ups’
show last Saturday.

You can hear the show until Saturday 27th December as a ‘Listen Again’
from the following link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/norfolk/aod.shtml?norfolk/paul_barnes_norfolk

OTHER KRUPA CENTENARY EVENTS
I will be appearing on Paul’s show on Saturday 10th January along with
drummer, Bob Dore to play some Krupa records and discuss his career.
I’ll remind you about this nearer the date.
‘Just Jazz Magazine’ should also be carrying my Centenary Celebration
article on Gene in the January edition.  You can order a copy from Just
Jazz Magazine, 29 Burrage Place, London SE18 7BG.

KRUPA/ GOODMAN CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS AT OUR FORTHCOMING JAZZ FESTIVALS
The New Years Jazz Party at The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick, Northumberland.
I will be presenting my Jazz Lecture – ‘Gene Krupa (1909 -1973)
America’s Ace Drummin’ Man’, on Friday 16th January and ‘The Special
Magic of Benny Goodman’, with James and Martin Litton on Saturday 17th
January.
There are a few rooms available or you can buy day tickets . Tel 01666
602109

The same programme will be presented at Pakefield, Now You Has Jazz Jazz
Jazz Festival on 6th – 9th March. Bookings 0870 220 2742.
We will also be presenting Krupa & Goodman items at the Louis Armstrong
Celebration Jazz Festival at Bracklesham Bay, Sussex, on 11th – 14th
September and at the William Shakespeare Jazz’n’Swing Festival at
Stratford on 21st – 23rd November 2009. You can book your place at these
events by contacting me at tjpost at traditional-jazz.com

BARGAINS FOR OVERSEAS RESIDENTS
With the Pound so low against the Euro and the Dollar, there has never
been a better time to buy CDs, DVDs or book a UK jazz break if you live
abroad.

May I conclude by wishing you all very happy and peaceful Christmas as
well as a swinging and healthy New Year.

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com