[Dixielandjazz] Hot Brazilian music - Choro (not exactly jazz, but very related)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Dec 20 12:07:43 PST 2008

Some research I have been doing lately (if you are on some of the
other tuba or jazz related groups, you might have seen some of this.)
I am sure list-mates from Brazil will be able to fill us in on the
details... the topic has come up in the past.

   There was a very popular style of music in Brazil from the 1840s
through the 1940s called Choro - it was an improvised blend of
European Polkas, Waltzes, and other dance songs mixed with African and
South American indigenous rhythms, played by amateur and semi-pro
musicians. Wind and stringed instruments were played, along with
vocals and percussion. North American Ragtime and Jazz influences were
added to the mix in the late 1800s and early 1900s - Samba eventually
became more popular, but there is a major revival of Choro style going
on today!  (A related style is Forro - a more modern version of Choro.)

The word "Choro" is roughly translated as "Cry" and from what I have
gathered  that word has to do with an emphasis on descending note
patterns in the melody and improvised solos. Interestingly,
(especially for tuba players) the Ophicleide was a major instrument in
the bands and there were many famous players of that difficult
instrument. The saxophone eventually replaced the Ophicleide in Brazil
by the 1930s. The musician known as Pixinguinha is probably the most
famous star in the style, but there were many other famous players and
band leaders.

I have been reading "Choro - A social History of a Brazilian Popular
Music" by Tamara Elena Livingston-Isenhour and Thomas George Caracas -
one of the few books written in English on the subject of Choro (and
apparently there is not much written in Portuguese, either!)

There are a few websites that cover this style of music - a link to
Hans Koert's blog:
http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2006/06/more-choro.html  and there
are more links in the comments section of this blog (and a related
Choro Blog at http://choro-music.blogspot.com )

 From there I found a free collection of the music of Pixinguinha and
other Choro musicians from the early 1900s onwards!
(web translation is a bit rough, but you should be able to navigate
without pretty well.)
http://acervos.ims.uol.com.br/php/level.php?lang=pt&component=38&item=37

then click on the 4 links to Music Composed, Interpreted, Executed, or
composed and interpreted by Pixinguinha.

Some of the recordings remind me of early Blues fife & Drum field
recordings, others are quite polished, swinging and enjoyable. If you
especially like early string bands, be sure to check this all out - I
think you all will find some interesting parallels between early Jazz
and Choro.

David RIchoux