[Dixielandjazz] Playing Conch shells

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Dec 20 10:02:59 PST 2008

A few years ago the large band I am in (California Repercussions) were
invited to play at the Pro Bowl football game in Honolulu. While
there, I went shopping for a good conch - most of the ones I found
were too big for easy transportation or had not been cut for blowing.
Seems like people just want decorative shells - the vendors seemed
quite surprised to hear me play them!
I did finally find a good one, not very expensive - and I have used it
a few times with my jug band.

(When the band toured Australia in 1999 many didgeridoos were
purchased, and when we went to Brazil the horn players found some
long, twisted cow horns in one shop very interesting & loud - but
nobody bought one.)

Dave RIchoux