[Dixielandjazz] FW: Almost good players

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 14:57:34 PST 2008

> Yes. There is a determined effort afoot to "dumb down" English in the USA.
> Almost no one uses "twice" or thrice." If you ask "How are you?" the answer
> you usually get is "I'm good." Well it's nice that you're good, but I didn't
> ask that, I asked whether you are well or ill. No one remembers how to use
> personal pronoun declensions. The use of "that" to replace "which" is almost
> universal. The word "media," as in "news media," is used with a singular
> verb. Etc.

I don't know about an effort.  But some thirty years ago I asked a guy
from America to come over in a fortnight and he did not know what it
meant!

As to "media," not being versed in Latin, most people just don't KNOW
it should be plural!

I hope my playing Sac a Pulses whily writing counts for jazz content.

Cheers