[Dixielandjazz] English - word games for the non-conformist.

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Tue Dec 16 10:00:09 PST 2008

Jim Kashishian wrote:

>> Yes. There is a determined effort afoot to "dumb down" English in the USA.
>>
> The use of "that" to replace "which" is almost universal.
> Phil Wilking

Don Ingle put his oars in wit
> In the case of  "that" and "which", many revert to "that which", combining the two into one wishy washy sign of an indecise moment on the part of the writer.

Among other dumbing down examples - not reserved for this side of the
pond - are these:
Lack of aptness in use of two words with similar definition though one
is more apt in a given use than the other. Eg: 'farther' and 'further.'
To point out a basic example of use for these words, consider: "I would
travel father to further the cause. "
Another pet peeve are involuntary knee jerk attempts of trying to modify
"Unique." TV is one place to find this running amuck. Some examples are
'very unique,' ' rather unique,' etc.
Unique means singular, unlike anything else, hence cannot be modified.
It is like being pregnant - you either are or your aren't...modification
need not apply.
Handy word use sorting is foound in the Strunk and White book, "Elements
of Style"; another is "The Transitive Vampire." When all else fails,
grab a copy of the Associated Press Style Book. It gives good advice on
proper useage - even if the AP sucks as a fail safe source of unbiased
news these days.
If you seek inspiration on the use of English as the written word, read
any of the works of Winston Churchill. The man had a sterling command
of  the English language that even we lowly Yankees in the former
colonies can appreciate. But then he was half American anyway.
Don (God gave us a common language -- and the free will on how to use
it) Ingle