[Dixielandjazz] Help For Gary Kiser

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 13 13:38:29 PST 2008

Dear Gary,
Bob Ringwald passed on the following:
> Gary can't post to DJML for some strange reason.  He asked me to
> post this on DJML.
> ******
> The ASCAP database didn't have entries for the following tunes :
> Ballin' The Jack - Chris Smith, James Henry Burris
> Make Me a Pallet on the Floor -
> The Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me - Arthur Swanstrom, Charles
> Mc
> Carron, Carey Morgan
> Can anyone help me out with publisher info.  I need this for iTunes
> distribution.

Dear Gary,
Herewith what I have:
•"Ballin' The Jack".
Words by Jim Burris; music by Chris Smith.
Publication: c.1913. New York. Jos. W. Stern & Co.
This song is now in the Public Domain.

• "Atlanta Blues". [Also known as "Make Me a Pallet On The Floor".]
It includes the song known as "Make Me a Pallet on your Floor" as its
chorus.
WC Handy - Dave Elman.
Copyrighted 28 July 1923.
Originally published by Handy Bros Music, now at
1697 Broadway, Suite 400
New York, NY  10019
Email:  mhandy at handybrosmusic.com
Website: http://www.handybrosmusic.com/index.html

•"Blues (My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me)"
Composers: N. Swanstone, Charles R. McCarron and Carey Morgan)
Publisher: Joseph W. Stern & Company
Copyright: 1919
View sheet music cover at: http://www.perfessorbill.com/covers/bmns.htm
This song is now in the Public Domain.
Note that the several internet references to 'Arthur Swanstrom' are in
error. He was a different composer and ASCAP does not list "BMNSGTM"
among his compositions. He began producing New York musical shows in
1929.

Public Domain.
Refer: http://www.pdinfo.com/index.php
    "Music and lyrics published in 1922 or earlier are in the Public
Domain in the United States. No one can claim ownership of a song in
the public domain, therefore public domain songs may be used by
anyone. Music recordings, however, are copyright protected separately
from musical compositions. There are no sound recordings in the Public
Domain in the USA. If you need a music recording - even a recording of
a public domain song - you will either have to record it yourself or
license a Royalty Free Music recording.

The proof that a musical work is in the Public Domain in the USA is
any sheet music publication with a copyright date of 1922 or earlier.
We are pleased to provide a copy of any PD sheet music in our library
at our reproduction cost. You will find a large selection of PD Sheet
Music Reprints with complete original copyright information in our
Sheet Music Section. If you need sound recordings for commercial use,
you can easily license any of our large selection of Royalty Free
Music tracks."

Kind regards,
Bill.