[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Bolden’s Mardi Gras March - a new contender for the Bolden Repertoire

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Fri Dec 12 15:56:12 PST 2008

Hello All,
                  Mr John Bradshaw of San Antonio Texas has just
released details of his recollections of a conversation
with Avery Kid Howard  in the 1950's about a tune he recalled was
played by the Bolden Band. John approached me some time back for
assistance in getting out a score based on his memory of the tune he
calls Buddy Bolden's Mardi Gras March.
We do not  agree entirely about some questions concerning the Bolden
authorship of the tune, part of which resembles part of a theme from
Darkie's Mardi Gras by Theodore Wenzlik. Nevertheless the two themes
Howard did recall do have some face validity, so I have put  an account
of them along with my analysis of their relation to Wenzlik's Rag up on
my web site at:
http://tinyurl.com/nqaup
See what you think
Dan Hardie