[Dixielandjazz] Who Needs A Drummer?

Daniel Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 11 12:40:13 PST 2008

     Well, at least it doesn't turn the beat around.
     But, come to think of it, if we allow this, the bass-player
might be next . . .
------------------------
Date: December 11, 2008 12:14:10 PM CST
Subject: Fwd: Who Needs A Drummer?

As you can see, John asked me to forward this. It is really a lot of
fun. We need the tractor for our gigs, too, particularly for Bye, Bye
Blues!
- - - - - - - - - - -

The piano may do for lovesick girls who lace themselves to skeletons,
and lunch on chalk, pickles, and slate pencils. But give me the
banjo... When you want genuine music—music that will come right home
to you like a bad quarter, suffuse your system like strychnine
whiskey…ramify your whole constitution like the measles, and break
out on your hide like the pin-feather pimples on a picked goose—when
you want all this, just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-
beaming banjo!
~ Mark Twain, Early Tales and Sketches, Vol 2 (1864-65)

-------