[Dixielandjazz] Slightly OT - My pick for Best Ever Commercial Radio station! (not just OKOM)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Dec 5 12:33:45 PST 2008

Hi all,
I have been listening to radio most of my life (started at the age of
3, in 1953) and I have been active in non-commercial radio
broadcasting since 1983. While I tend to seek out non-commercial
stations, there is one commercial station that I think stands out as
strictly AMAZING, and it has been around (in one form or other) since
the late 1970s.

Starting out as KFAT, reformed as KHIP and now called KPIG, this
Central Coastal California station plays consistently great variety of
music: Old-Time, Bluegrass, Traditional Jazz, Blues, Boogie, Roots-
Rock, Hawaiian, "Real Country" (not Nashville/Branson,) Novelty &
Comedy, all sorts of other stuff that almost never gets played on
commercial stations or even many non-commercial stations!

The air staff has a lot of freedom in their programming, they are
"real people" and the station also does lots of live shows, festivals
and special events. They produce a lot of the commercials they air,
mostly from local businesses
- a real old fashion radio station ;-)

Anyway, they have been streaming on line since the early days of The
Internet and if you have not heard them, check out
http://www.kpig.com/  for more info.

(I don't work for the station - just a long time listener who wishes
other stations could be like them...)

Dave Richoux