[Dixielandjazz] Banjo Tailpiece question

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Thu Dec 4 01:40:58 PST 2008

Shalom Banjo players!

I am repairing an old banjo for a friend. Not sure whether it's a small
tenor or a banjo uke. Head diameter is 9.25". Thee are 19 frets, and 4
strings. Might be home-made, as there is no name on it anywhere.

Please have a look at the picture online at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/elazarb/BanjoUke#5275864805761294866

I received it "no strings attached", with no bridge. Now I've cleaned it up
quite a bit and put on a new skin head (yes, I know the skin still needs to
be trimmed). My question is:

With the tailpiece mounted on the resonator, and sitting above it is a
fairly deep metal pot assembly, I don't see how to put the strings on
without running them over a couple of metal edges of the pot and tension
hoop assembly. This doesn't seem like a good idea. But I also don't see the
possibility of mounting another tailpiece on the pot, so the strings run
straight to the bridge.

Can anyone offer any advice on how the strings should be installed on this
old fellow? Please reply off-list to jazzmin at actcom.net.il.

Thanks in advance.

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band