[Dixielandjazz] [SPAM] Band in Dragnet, The 1954 Movie

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Mon Dec 1 14:00:14 PST 2008

I believe is was Jud DeNaut.
But this beigns up a bit of memory flasdh for me. I went ot Columbus, OH to
join a band at Lou Posey's Frolics Club. I was a ear otu of MichiganState,
had been on road in late '53, then went ot Chicago and put in my transfer
from Local 47 to 10-208. I was only playing causuals as union rule said I
had to be in the local a half year before I could take anythng steady. But
Nappy Trottier, the trempet manonthe job (and a sweet, tasty player) wanteed
to come back to Chicago. He called Bill Rhinehardt at Jazz Ltd. who
recopmmended me. I had to get a special dispensation forthe local to take
the out of town job without penalty on my transfer wait.
When I got here, this is who I foudn playng. Darnell Howard, clar; Jmiiy
Archie, trombone; Barrett Deems, drums; Joe Sullivan, pianno, plus strong
local bass man. Sweetest two month gig I ever had. Darnell was tall and
Jimmy short annd were the "Mutt and Jeff" of the front line.
I later worked with Barett as Jazz Ltd. in Chicago in the 60' where i put in
five ys on the turmpet chair
The connection here is the Pete Kelly thing. At a theater, Pete Kelly's
Blues movie was just opening while I was there, so I went to an afternnon
matinee to see it. Since I knew all the people on the band from L.A.
(studied arranging with Matty who did most of the charts for the Kelly band)
so it was a bit of homesick cure.
So true -- what goes around does come around, and more often than not on
this list.
Don Ingle