[Dixielandjazz] J J Johnson

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 31 18:05:15 PDT 2008

Marty Nichols mentioned J. J. Johnson during the Jimmy Cleveland
posts. That reminds me of a story about J.J. (NOT OKOM for some. If
that's you, delete now)

Dixieland trombonist Pete Pepke told me this story. The event occurred
shortly before J J Johnson's passing.

Pete was in NYC for s tribute to a jazz great, or some such function
(I forget)  at Roseland. He was walking up to the front door, trombone
case in hand when an old, slightly disheveled black man stopped him.

"Is that a trombone?" said the man to Pete.

"Yes". Pete replied.

"What kind of music do you play" asked the man.

"Dixieland Jazz, my name is Pete Pepke." replied Pete offering his
handshake.

"I used to play a little trombone" the man said, shaking Pete's hand.
"Though you may not have heard of me, "my name is J. J.Johnson."

Pete about fell over saying: "Of course I've heard of you, you are one
of my jazz heros. I' apologize that I didn't recognize you" . . .
etc., etc., etc.

He then had a heck of a discussion about Jazz with J.J. Johnson who,
as most of us who play music think, was a seminal jazz Great. Like
Ory, Brunies, Mole, Teagarden, he changed the way jazz trombone was
played and influenced, those who followed him, just like his OKOM
predecessors influenced him.

You can hear Joe Alessi's tribute to JJ (if it is still on his website).

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband