[Dixielandjazz] Stereotyping

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 28 17:40:10 PDT 2008

> eupher dude <eupher61 at hotmail.com> wrote (Polite Snip)
>

> I've often read on DJML that it's a shame more African American
> musicians don't play OKOM.  No wonder.  Yes, the current crop of
> "artists" (using the term loosely) have no problem with using slang,
> vernacular, and rhetoric that would draw a lawsuit against most non-
> black people.  That's fine.  They have no respect for themselves,
> tough, but I won't go down that road too.

Folks, shouldn't put too much credence in DJML posts that blacks do
not play OKOM. Nor should they stereotype "the current crop of artists".

The concert our 6 piece Dixieland band played, with Jonathan Russell
as our guest last Sunday, had 3 black OKOM players. The concert I did
Monday had 4 black OKOM players. They are gentlemen as well as
excellent jazz musicians; don't use "slang vernacular and rhetoric
that would draw a lawsuit against most non black people" but probably
would not be surprised such an unfair characterization by a white
Dixielander.

Sometimes I front a band version where all the other players are
black. Same story.

Point being, there are idiot musicians of every color, race, creed.
And there are wonderful musicians of every color, race and creed. As a
working jazz musician, with a network of both black and white jazz
musicians, working every one of my 160 gigs this year with blacks in
my band, I speak from actual experience, not some theory of pre
determined opinion.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband