[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Cleveland

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 14:03:26 PDT 2008

Stan Brager posted:

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:12:55 -0700
From: "Stan Brager" <sbrager at socal.rr.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Cleaveland
To: "DJML" <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>,    <Duke-lym at concordia.ca>

According to his Wiki, trombonist Jimmy Cleveland died last Saturday -
August 23, 2008. A marvelous bop trombonists with great chops capable of
covering the entire range of the horn with apparent ease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Cleveland

Stan
Stan Brager

In my book Jimmy Cleveland is probably the most "unsung hero of the trombone" , and this among many, many other giants of the trombone who get little recognition for their efforts in jazz. I still feel pain when I remember that the Ken Burns jazz thing (what was it called?) omitted mention of the great J. J. Johnson except for a photo of J.J. in a session with Miles Davis. But that is off the subject; Jimmy Cleveland was another great that too few got a chance to hear IMO.

Marty Nichols
http://www.esnips.com/web/jazztrombone