[Dixielandjazz] Mr. Sound Man, Note From Karen Quick

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Aug 27 22:39:37 PDT 2008

A few days ago someone mentioned our long-lost DJML member Karen Quick.  He
mentioned the song she was involved with, "Mr. Soundman" sung to the tune of
"Mr. Sand Man."

I sent the e-mail to her and here is her reply:

(snip)
Howdy Bob,

Thanks for sending me this.  It sure brings back memories, which are fewer
and farther
between these days.  Don's memory is much better than mine.  I'd forgotten
that we
even wanted to record Mr. Soundman.  But somewhere deep in the recesses of
what's
left of my brain, now that he mentions it, I do recall that we contacted
somebody
about recording it and were turned down because our version was a parody.
I'm pretty
sure whoever we contacted was the publisher, although the name Archie Blyers
doesn't
ring a bell with me.  I vaguely remember a letter from some big-name
publisher in
either New York or LA, and that's all they said, that it wasn't their policy
to allow
parodies.  That was back in the days when one had to get permission to
record something,
and when vinyl pressers could still make a living.  So no wonder my memory
doesn't
work too well anymore.

Anyway, we collaboratively wrote the lyrics to Mr. Soundman after so many
bad experiences
with same.  The last line, where we supposedly got cut off, suggested an
obvious
and obscene rhyme, and I can't even remember that anymore.  I know that we
just mouthed
it, but we didn't need to because most everybody figured it out, whatever it
was.

I always enjoyed making people laugh with that song, but I also enjoyed the
challenge
of having us get the bum-bum-bum-bums right and in harmony.  It wasn't an
easy song
to sing.  Hats off to the Chordettes.
(snip)

I tried to get Ms Quick back on DJML but she is busy attending college and
has no time right now.

Hopefully in the future we'll get her back.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Note new e-mail address rsr at ringwald.com
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band

Hear our new CD at:
www.fultonstreetjazz.com/music.htm

 "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or
a politician. And to
tell the truth, there's hardly any difference. I, for one, believe the piano
player job to be much more honorable than current politicians."  --Harry
Truman