[Dixielandjazz] lyrics--appropriate??

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:29:47 PDT 2008

Rather, these are song titles.

"Frogs all smell the same, oui oui"
"The Lousy Irishman who actually got a job"
"The Hebes Tried To Part The Mississippi"
"Dagos Doin' The Pasta Bowl"
"Chinks in Jap Land"
"Chase the Wetbacks out of the Lettuce Patch"

OK...imaginary song titles.

To me, these are no less insensitive than "Darktown" etc.

I don't want to hear "Black and Blue" sung unless it's by an African American person.  I'm not black.  I'm not just white inside.

I've often read on DJML that it's a shame more African American musicians don't play OKOM.  No wonder.  Yes, the current crop of "artists" (using the term loosely) have no problem with using slang, vernacular, and rhetoric that would draw a lawsuit against most non-black people.  That's fine.  They have no respect for themselves, tough, but I won't go down that road too.

I have no problem altering lyrics to make them less racist, sexist, whatever, for most situations.  However, when I've played in settings where history is involved, I try to be as authentic as possible.  The fact that "Darktown" was written as it is can't be denied, neither can "Mammy's Little Punkin Colored Coons" or "What You Gonna Do When The Rent Comes Due" nor how many thousands of other "race songs".  Even things like "Red Eye" ("I had a fight with my wife last night, beat her till my hands were sore")  I'll change.
 I don't care if the song was written by a black composer/lyricist, an Anglo, an Asian, Hispanic, whatever...if the lyrics don't fit my rose-colored glasses view of society, I'll change them.  I try to be accepting and respectful of everyone, as bias-free as possible.

Except for viola players, of course.

steve "ucc.org" hoog