[Dixielandjazz] Arthur Godfrey and Peanuts Hucco

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Aug 25 21:29:20 PDT 2008

Bob Newman wrote regarding the clarinet player in the Dixieland band on the
Arthur Godfrey radio show:

 > NO -- IT WAS JOHNNY MINCE.

Of course it was Johnny Mince.  How could I forget?  I eventually became
good friends with Johnny.  Hired him to be a guest star at the Sacramento
Traditional Jazz Society's monthly Jazz Sunday concert several times.  Hired
him to do a fund raising concert for KCSN when I did the radio show in LA.
Went Jazz Club hopping in NY with him.  What a nice man.

I heard that because of ulzhymers, he ended up sitting on his bed with his
clarinet apart, not knowing how to put it together.

So now I remember, Johnny was the regular clarinet player on the show, Pee
Wee Spitalero "(sp?)" from New Orleans appeared on the show from time to
time.  It was not Pete Fountain.

I remember the two clarinets trading 4s and 8s and Godfrey laughing his head
off.  He sure did love the music.

--Bob Ringwald