[Dixielandjazz] Darktown Strutter's Ball

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 25 13:35:08 PDT 2008

I don't understand why "Darktown Strutter's Ball" should be a problem
in its original form. It is a historically correct song written by a
black composer that describes "black music", and "black social
events". It is about the fancy dress balls in "Darktown"  where
invites were sought by both blacks and whites. Perhaps even a parody
of white fancy dress balls and the uppity folks who attended them?

The song crossed racial lines and was an enormous hit, in the teens
and 1920s, loved by both races, and remains a classic song today.

There are some who theorize that Brooks was writing about a "hookers"
ball in Chicago and that the leading socialites and politicians of
both colors were very pleased when they were invited, and they
attended. Either way, note well the verse:

I've got some good news honey,
An Invitation to the Darktown Ball
It's a very swell affair,
Highbrows will be there.
I'll wear my high silk hat and a frocktail coat,
You wear your Paris gown, and your new silk shawl.
There ain't no doubt about it, babe,
We'll be the best dressed in the hall.

Who can say why Turk Murphy changed the words? Those were days well
before the political correctness mania hit. Remember too that someone
changed the words of Shine in 1927 or so to include shining one's
shoesies.

Barbone Street plays Darktown (and That's Why They Call Me Shine) just
as they were written. We do explain what the tunes really mean and
we've never had a problem with either blacks or whites, both in our
band and in the audience, or self-styled political correctness police.

Damn, if we are going to be super sensitive, we should also re-name
Jazz Me Blues because it sure as hell didn't originally mean "Kiss Me
Blues", (or play me some music) if you get my drift. The title was
just a prettified vulgarism.

Interested listees may wish to see what one 5th grade music course
teaches about Darktown Strutters Ball at:.

http://www.cstone.net/~bcp/5/5MrMusic.htm

If 10 year old kids can take it, why can't we older folks?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband