[Dixielandjazz] Ukulele Virtuosity

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Sat Aug 23 09:23:33 PDT 2008

Thanks to the members reminiscing about Prima and Godfrey. The historical anecdotes are what make this list so great.

I was not a Arthur Godfrey fan, but I didn't know he was a banjoist in Vaudeville in the 20's. Like many others, I was fascinated by his interest in the ukulele.

A few years ago on a return trip from a Hawaiian vacation, I read a review in the airplane magazine about a CD called a"The Art of Solo Ukulele."

I ordered it and was amazed at the virtuosity displayed by the players. It's a compilation of tunes by four virtuosos of the instrument: Benny Chong, Gordon Mark, Jake Shimaburo and Bryon Yasui. Each has a different style of playing and each soloist performs different music. Some of the tunes are: God Bless America, The Way You Look Tonight, Love Theme from Romeo & Juliet, I'll Take Romance, Something, Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, and others (including a few obligatory Hawaiian tunes).

The CD (according to the insert information) is a production of the Honolulu Academy of Arts. Website is www.honoluluacademy.org. I believe that's where I purchased my copy from, although it's been a couple of years.

Not OKOM, but some interesting stuff, including some great jazz licks by Byron Yasui on some great standards.

(Note: I have no vested interest in this CD or website.)

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
Solo Banjo Shows