[Dixielandjazz] Clint Eastwood and Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 18 13:41:16 PDT 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 3:53 PM, Marek Boym wrote:

> I have seen - and liked - "Bird," at a small Tel-Aviv cinema which
> specialized in "art" films, now long defunct.

> Still, both films mentioned are hardly OKOM; moreover, Parker said
> that "bebop was no love child of jazz."

True enough, neither "Bird" nor "Straight No Chaser" are strictly
OKOM. But then, what is?

However, regardless of what Bird may have said out of context, he was
primarily a blues player. And throughout his solos he liberally
sprinkled quotes from OKOMers who went before him. He was especially
fond of inserting a couple of bars of Picou's "High Society" in
various tunes including the seminal bebop tune, "Koko". I became
personally aware of that OKOM influence when Omer Simeon introduced me
to Bird in front of Jimmy Ryan's one night;  "You have to go next door
and hear this man's (Bird) next set. Listen to his roots." Bird then
played Koko paying homage to Picou.

And Monk's (Straight No Chaser) first mentor was James P Johnson, who
lived around the corner. You can hear that influence all through
Monk's recorded legacy. Lots of stride in Monk's playing. Especially
in his stride blues composition "Functional".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband