[Dixielandjazz] Copyright or wrong?

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 14:07:32 PDT 2008

Because the law changed several years ago.  I'm not even sure, is it 95 years now?

Allegedly Disney was a moving force behind the change, since suddenly "Snow White"
and others were due to be PD.

As the law stands now, in the US, any printed music copyrighted 1923 OR LATER is
eligible for continuing copyright protection.  If it is pre-1923 (meaning 1922 or earlier) it's PD.   Note that a piece that was copyrighted pre-1923 can be redone in an arrangement, and that arrangement can be copyrighted.  That's why it's important to go to an original source.  If words or melody change and are accepted as "correct", and they are covered at some point by a copyrighted version, you can be nailed for using those evolved words or melody.

I often wonder about "Basin St Blues", which is NOT PD (1926).  Has the melody been published with the altered line, the one from "Jazzin' Babies Blues"?  I'd guess it has been, in an arrangement for concert band or orchestra etc, but how about in a piano/vocal sheet?

maybe that's superfluous to this discussion, I dunno.  I'm tired.

steve "still not a lawyer" hoog

Message: 12
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:20:10 -0400
From: "Paul Gorelick" <drpag at flash.net>
In Levy sheet music, he says that a song written in 1928 is protected.  Why
when a copyright exists for 70 years after the death of the original writer.
1928 plus 70 equals 1998.  It should not be protected unless I'm reading it
wrong.  Paul