[Dixielandjazz] Orange County Jazz Festival

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 07:21:23 PDT 2008

As Ed Metz has already commented, "

The OC festival was a great one with unparalleled organization, top notch
bands, large and highly enthusiastic audiences, wonderful venues and superb
pianos. Be sure to put it on your list for 2009."

That about says it all in a nutshell. I'm sure the American Rag will
describe it much better than I can.

Two bands, however, that I hadn't seen before, are definitely worth noting
for future.

http://www.club7jazzband.com/

This group is composed of college-age young men (details, bios, etc., on
website) whose style and professionalism are far beyond their years.
Clarinetist and leader Michael Almich is not only technically proficient AND
sensitive AND swinging but was attuned to every nuance of the band members.
And they to him. He is a protegee of Bob Draga, and it shows.

Of note also is that they had a young man from York, Pa, named Aaron Lewis,
sit in with them for two numbers on the harmonica. They had seen him at the
previous evening's jam session and were so impressed that they invited him
to join them. (Speaking of encouraging new players!) Aaron also plays drums
and sings, and I understand he is going to be starting school to study music
 Steve, keep your eyes out for this young man back there!

http://www.hcsf.com/

Le Jazz Hot, led by Paul Mehling, included Clint Baker on bass (and one
splendid rendition of Hesitation Blues on trumpet), Evan Price on violin,
and Mehling on solo guitar and Jason Vanderford on rhythm guitar. Check out
their website...not only eye-catching but informative.

Musical style, influenced by Django, focused on "the gypsy guitar music of
the Hot Club of France." Seems so inadequate to say that their music was
beautiful"--it was intensely emotional and penetrating.

Several CDs available, and I understand one with the above personnel will be
out this fall. Watch for it!

Oh, and of course Bob Ringwald was there with Fulton Street.....always a
pleasure to hear and to get a smile and a hug from! Katie Cavera sat in on
the Friday night set.

Jane Lynch

Janie

janie39 at socal.rr.com