[Dixielandjazz] Some of These Days

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Mon Aug 11 12:52:44 PDT 2008

Tom Duncan wrote:

> In searching for copyright info to obtain a mechanical
> license for a CD, I was referred by the Harry Fox site to
> "the publisher". Harry Fox said they could not license this
tune.

> ASCAP lists a number of "composers", but they may be
> arrangers also. Can anyone help with the appropriate contact
> to obtain the license for this tune (as done by Sophie
> Tucker, for instance - but, our own arrangement)

I believe that no license is needed, as this composition is in the
Public Domain.  "Some of These Days," by Sheldon Brooks, was
published by Will Rossiter (Chicago) in 1910. Anything copyrighted
in the USA in 1922 or earlier is no longer under copyright.  You
are free to perform this piece without paying royalties, free to
arrange it without permission, and (I believe) free to record it
without paying a mechanical license.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, Zinfandel Stompers