[Dixielandjazz] Dave Van Ronk

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 9 15:28:45 PDT 2008

Dear Listmates,

I recently found a 1998 interview with "folksinger" Dave Van Ronk.
"Folksinger" is in quotes because Van Ronk did not consider himself a
folksinger.

He began as a jazz musician with traditional and mainstream bands and
gradually edged into solo performing as a singer/guitarist.  The
interview shows him to be thoughtful and insightful on many subjects,
including life as a performer and about other well-known performers
he has known over the years.

In addition to what is generally considered folk music Van Ronk
performed blues, ragtime and jazz, live and on record.

Here is a link to this very interesting, informative and sometimes
funny interview:

http://www.wsws.org/arts/1998/may1998/dvr-m7.shtml

For those listmates who are unfamiliar with Van Ronk as a performer,
here are a couple of Youtube links that may capture your interest:

In this first one, recorded near the end of his life when he was
obviously in poor health, he spends the first part of the clip
reminiscing about Clarence Williams, whom he knew early in his
career. Then he does a somewhat ragged version of "You've Been a Good
Old Wagon", a tune associated with Bessie Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMlQp0yACwQ

In this next one, from the same session, Van Ronk talks about how he
has always considered himself a jazz singer.  The performance is a
country blues, "Down South Blues".

I could not find any videos of Van Ronk performing ragtime but here
is one of another fine guitarist performing Van Ronk's version of
"St. Louis Tickle".  It should give an idea of what Van Ronk may have
sounded like in his prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbFS3iQPxig

I do have audio of Dave Van Ronk performing Scott Joplin's "The
Entertainer" on solo acoustic guitar.  Here is a link:

http://home.comcast.net/~rwade1947/Entertainer.mp3

I hope you enjoy this material as much as I have.  Dave Van Ronk was
a folksinger with an OKOM heart.

Roger Wade
Really Old Records

http://www.reallyoldrecords.com