[Dixielandjazz] Big Band Movies (was Side Street Strutters)

Hal Vickery hvickery_80 at msn.com
Thu Aug 7 21:42:57 PDT 2008

As I recall, and it has been years since I've seen the Gene Krupa Story, there is a scene in which Krupa/Mineo is at a party and a character says something like, "You know Bix Beiderbecke" who is one of the guests.  Chronologically Bix was long dead by this time, but hey!  It's Hollywood.

The movie came out about the time my recently deceased brother was in college, St. Joseph's College in Rennselaer, IN, which is the college Krupa was kicked out of.  I remember him telling us that there were howls when the Hollywood version of the campus was shown.

The drumming was actually done by Krupa.  Dave Tough had been deceased over ten years by the time this movie was made.  Tough was played in the movie by Shelly Manne.  Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Hal Vickery