[Dixielandjazz] Side Street Strutters

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 5 07:50:58 PDT 2008

This group is arguably one of the most successful OKOM Bands in the
world. Note the reason they formed in 1982. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Dixieland band struts its stuff at Furman Park
By John Farrell, Special to the Press-Telegram
Long Beach Press Telegram
Article Launched:08/04/2008 06:09:08 PM PDT
It is the middle of hurricane season.

Nonetheless, you could head down to New Orleans right now, and with a
little luck, avoid anything like Katrina.

More to the point, it is August, hottest month of the year on the
Bayou, and in the Big Easy the air is drinking humidity from the
Mississippi like a thirsty man drinks a Sazerac. Things are hot in New
Orleans come August, and it isn't because of the all-night partying in
the French Quarter.

You could head down to Louisiana and ignore the heat and have a great
time. Or, if the idea of travel in the heat is too exhausting, you
could head to Downey Wednesday evening, find a parking place not far
from leafy Furman Park, settle down in the cool shade and enjoy some
really hot New Orleans music, courtesy of the Side Street Strutters.

Let the band members do all the necessary sweating.

The seven-member band, which will perform at 7 p.m., has been playing
the sweet, hot music of New Orleans for more than a quarter-century in
concert halls and outdoor arenas, in New Orleans (of course), across
Europe and Mexico and, since 1985, in regular concerts at Disneyland,
where they have become a highly popular tradition.

The Side Street Strutters (they chose the name from the side streets
of New Orleans) are one of the most successful of Dixieland bands, but
they began performing together more or less by accident, according to
Vince Verdi, clarinetist for the group and one of its original
members. (Five of the seven current members have been with the group
since it began.)

Verdi, calling from Disneyland, where the group plays five days every
week, put it this way: "It was a total fluke."

Verdi, his brothers and other band members were all students at
Arizona State University back in 1982, and "We were looking for a way
to make a little money for school," he said. "My brother Rob had the
idea 'Let's play a little jazz.' It was a lot of fun and a success so
we kept doing it.

"In 1982, we entered a national competition on a fluke and won. That
gave us a lot of jobs, and we played on television and around the
country. We decided this was a lot of fun, and we kept doing it."

The Strutters draw their repertory from big band, swing and Dixieland
music, and over the decades have developed a big repertoire.

"Even after all these years it stays fresh," Verdi said. "The thing
about jazz is that it is improvisational. You can play it again and
again and every time it is fresh and new. It has kept us together all
these years, because it is just fun to play."

That "fun" music has carried the Strutters not only through regular
performances at Disneyland, but around the country and the world. The
Strutters' touring season begins in September, and, as Verdi put it,
they will be performing all over the United States,

"from New Hampshire to Florida, and everywhere else."

In addition to their regular live performances, and seven recordings
made over the years, they have expanded their performances to include
pops concerts with local orchestras, including a recent performance
with the Long Beach Symphony.

Wednesday's free concert will include music chosen from the great hits
of Dixieland and swing, including "Basin Street Blues," "Just a Little
Walk with Thee" and the Benny Goodman hit "Swing, Swing, Swing."

BACK TO BOURBON STREET

What: Concert by New Orleans-style jazz band the Side Street Strutters.

When: 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Where: Furman Park, 10419 Rives Ave., Downey.

Admission: Free.

Information: (562) 904-7238.