[Dixielandjazz] A clip from a new CD Review

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 08:39:59 PDT 2008

Could Randy Newman's "dip into Dixieland" be a trend? Maybe so. We
drew 600 people at $10 each, to a 2  hour concert in Ocean City NJ
last night, and sold 71 CDs.  One attendee who lives in Sarasota
Florida and is involved with their jazz festival asked where we'd been
hiding. "In plain sight" we said, "at local venues like this with the
general public."
And, in NYC, there are now several Dixieland bands competing with each
other for audiences at nightclubs every Sunday night. And more OKOM is
becoming visible during the week there. Played by professionals who
make their living by performing and teaching etc.
And check out Jim Fryer's schedule at:
http://web.mac.com/jamesfryer1/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html
click on "upcoming events"
Three cheers for momentum and positive thinkers

Cheers,
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

NY TIMES - August 4, 2008 - New CDs
RANDY NEWMAN  “Harps and Angels” (Nonesuch)

Randy Newman can do saccharine and he can do sour. At his best,
though, his songs deliver complex flavors, with a pungent but
searching ambivalence. “Harps and Angels,” his first album of new
songs since “Bad Love” in 1999, presents a mess of conflicting
feelings and motives. Intermittently brilliant, occasionally
belligerent, it presents a vision of American identity as sprawling
and ultimately as confused as the country itself. . . . snip to.

The songs dip into Dixieland, country and, in the case of a
satirically bigoted tune called “Korean Parents,” a flash of
Orientalism. . . .  by NATE CHINEN

Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband