[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet contest in Serbia

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Aug 1 17:14:14 PDT 2008

I have been following this kind of music for many years - Balkan
Brass has spread all over the world and there are many bands (many
are not ethnically "Balkan.) There is a website balkanarama.com/
bands.htm that has links to many of them.

While I am not very good at playing it yet, I am starting to figure
out how the song structures work, and how someone can improvise in
11/8 time! There is an annual music camp in Mendicino, CA for
learning more (I have not been there, but I know some people who have
gone.) http://www.eefc.org has more info on that.

Dave RIchoux