[Dixielandjazz] New Respect For Banjoists

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Tue Apr 29 15:41:46 PDT 2008

Thanks for posting this Steve.  I was there!  I went specifically  to hear
Wachter with a symphony as well as to attend a Hall of Fame Induction  Ceremony
for new inductees into the National Banjo Museum Hall of Fame.   That museum
will be moving to downtown Bricktown area of Oklahoma City during  the coming
months.  For any interested below is my partial review  of both those events.

Folks, what an awesome evening watching "gypsy" Buddy work with a  symphony,
even one as young in history and age of musicians as the Oklahoma City
Philharmonic.  Just a huge success in every way!  Full house and I  imagine that is
true this evening as well.  Extensive program, everything  from jazz to blue
grass to Broadway medleys, Tin Pan Alley, to the  classics.  Don't miss a
future such opportunity.  A chance to see the  sweep of Buddy's versatility.  He
opened with this piece, "P. de Sarasate's  Zigeunerweisen", a violin virtuoso
piece which Buddy translated as Gypsy  Airs.  He played the opening movement on
tenor, quickly sat that down to  play the rest on plectrum.  I really enjoyed
the weaving in and out of  banjo with the voices or timbres of the various
orchestral instruments.  If  I could grab some of those samples out of the air to
hear again, my first  choice would be a scarce handful of occasions where
banjo followed solo  concert harp or vice versa.  Even though I watched and heard
Buddy do  this piece, I found it hard to believe it was possible to do even
half as  well.

Prior to the concert, the Okie Dokie Banjo Banjo did a really righteous and
well prepared job of entertaining attendees as they arrived.   They had
integrated the museum kids band making it a super special treat for  me--and I
presume for the kids.

The Hall of Fame Induction -- not only neat to see--but boy did it make me
smarter.  Johnny had done extensive DVD video history of all  inductees--so you
saw Steve DiBonaventura's film of Dale's banjos, the  stories of Dupen,
Higgins, Stevison, Jad Paul, and Maurice Bolyer.   Bolyer's son's "speech" on his
memories of his dad was so  touching.  Learning more about Jad Paul--he's 92
and in Assisted  Living--has been visiting with Johnny by phone.  Hey, gang, if
you don't  know the banjo hits Paul has written, get busy learning where
credit is  due!  It took me forever to learn that Banjo Picker's Ball was written
by  Jad Paul--because we stick so many lead sheets in banjo band  books--never
so much as crediting the source, etc.  For Shame!

Nor did I know that THE FIRST banjo cabaret was the Red Garter,  and NOT Your
Father's Moustache or Shakey's.  Both Jack Duppen,  banjoist, and Harry
Higgins, business owner were there to tell us how  it all began.
Ginny

>From the snippet:

In a message dated 4/29/2008 4:47:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,