[Dixielandjazz] British Ban on US Musicians performing in England

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat Apr 26 14:06:53 PDT 2008

To:  DJML and Bob Ringwald

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

(snips)

>John Petters wrote regarding Humphrey Littleton:

(snip)

>He illegally recorded with Bechet (a stupid ban by the Musician's Union
made it illegal for American musicians to perform in the UK )

(snip)

>>I also saw this remark in Humph's obit.  I am curious as to what brought

about this ban?  Especially after the Glen Miller band being stationed in

the UK during WWII and being so popular?  Another stupid move on the part of

the musician's union?

>>--Bob Ringwald K6YBV

In response,  I learned from reading an excellent biography of Paul Whiteman
that when his band got to England, there was a ban on American Musicians
performing in England because the English musicians were displaced.  This
unanticipated glitch was resolved by Whiteman hiring an equivalent number of
British musicians, but they didn’t have to perform or appear on stage!

Obviously that, as well as a lot of other things, changed with the onset of
WWII.

Hope this helps.  Here are particulars on that book published by Scarecrow
Press.  I reviewed that book and interviewed Don Rayno by telephone.  He
worked on the book for 20 years and interviewed many of those surviving from
that band—many of who had died by the time the book was published in 2003.
It was 840 pages!

Paul Whiteman
Pioneer in American Music, Volume I: 1890-1930
Series: HYPERLINK
"http://www.scarecrowpress.com/Catalog/MultiBook.shtml?db=%5EDB/catalog.db&c
ommand=search&eqRELATED_SERIESdata=Studies%20in%20Jazz&ATITLEsort=1&max=10&s
tartat=1&AllReqd=T"Studies in Jazz #43
Don Rayno
Foreword by HYPERLINK
"http://www.scarecrowpress.com/Catalog/MultiBook.shtml?command=Search&db=%5E
DB/AU.db&eqAuFNamedatarq=William%20H.&eqAuLNamedatarq=Youngren&max=10&starta
t=1"William H. Youngren

List Price: $54.95

Discounted Price: $46.71 (15% off)

ISBN: 0-8108-4579-2