[Dixielandjazz] Humph

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 26 07:51:52 PDT 2008

Greetings Folks,
Really sad to hear about Humph. He was a very special person and one of
the greatest jazz musicians the UK produced. His records with George
Webb's Dixielanders founded the traditional jazz revival in this
country. He illegally recorded with Bechet (a stupid ban by the
Musician's Union made it illegal for American musicians to perform in
the UK ) His records for Parlophone with Webb, Wally Fawkes etc. stand
up as some of the best recordings of British jazz. He had a commanding
lead and great phrasing.

He was also the first traditional jazz musician to have a top 20 hit
with 'Bad Penny Blues'.

I had the pleasure and honour of playing with him on several occasions
in the 80s and managed to appear on a record date which he produced for
his Calligraph label, featuring Al Casey, Wally Fawkes, Ian Christie,
Stan Greig and Jack Fallon. The LP 'October Song' is long deleted. I had
arrived to pick Al up and take him to a gig in Harlow.

Stan was due to play drums on some tracks and piano on others.
Wally, with whom I had recently recorded, invited me to play the
session. Humph decided that as he was there already, he might as well
join in the fun. So he blew some great trumpet on several tracks. What a
joy!

On a number of other occasions we worked together and he was always
inspiring, inventive and enthusiastic about the music.

Paul Barnes will be paying tribute to him on Gold For Grown-ups on BBC
Eastern Counties Radio today (Saturday) 18:00 - 21:00 local UK time on
the web and as a 'Listen Again' from Sunday for seven days.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/norfolk/aod.shtml?norfolk/paul_barnes_norfolk

Coming so soon after the loss of Dick Charlesworth, April has been a
very dark month for the traditional jazz scene in the UK

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com