[Dixielandjazz] Larry Peacock' Vision - Bandleaders Note

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 25 11:47:13 PDT 2008

List mates: Especially Band leaders:

Received the below from Larry Peacock in Portland Oregon. Some band
leaders may want to participate. If you want to get pro-active about
reaching young people, his contact information is at the bottom of the
message. I am sending him some of our CDs to try and sell. I also sent
a single CD a while back which he plays during the dances.
You can do either, or ignore as you choose.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Hello Musicians,

I had this fantastic idea that I wanted to run by you all.  Hundreds
of dancers run through my venues in Portland, OR on a weekly basis
each month (I host dances on Wed, Fri, Sat, and Sun, as well as the
monthly dance at the Crystal Ballroom).  The majority of them do NOT
have Swing music (big band, small group, trad, gypsy, etc), which is
really sad....yet, I am trying to change that.  Trouble is, it is
sometimes difficult to find your music at any normal CD store (or the
dancers are not looking for it), so I would like to bring your music
to them.

Would you be interested in selling your CDs at my venues?  I've
already contacted several leaders and they are game for doing it.
Fridays at Lenora's Room and Sundays at the Scottish Rite are the big
nights to dance in Portland, so I will plan to sell them at those
venues, as well as the Crystal Ballroom.  Also, I will be marketing to
my personal Stumptown Database of nearly 4,000 dancers, as well as my
extended database online (i.e. Facebook groups of 1,300 and 500,
MySpace, etc).

Open attached contract, but read below, too. (Contract not attached as
DJML will strip it - contact Larry direct for copy)

SALE OF CDS
My staff would monitor the sales of your CDs at my venues.  We would
detail the number of CDs given to us by you and we'd send you a check
on the 1st of the month for the number of CDs sold, minus a percentage
given to Stumptown for service. Stumptown will be held responsible for
any CDs lost or stolen, which you would be reimbursed for.  If you
ship your CDs via air mail, we will split shipping cost 50/50.
Otherwise, we can discuss a pick-up or drop-off point.  With so many
band leaders contacted here via email, I would like to keep all sales
standard and straight across the board (so folks can mix match and
sales made easy.  If you are agreeable, then we will sign a contract
with terms explained.  Sales are as follows:

1 CD for $15.  Band receives $11.25 per CD at 75%.  Stumptown receives
$3.75 per CD at 25%.
2 CDs for $26 ($13 each).  Band receives $9.75 per CD at 75%.
Stumptown receives $3.25 per CD at 25%.

Again, with so many bands contacted via this email, I can't afford to
purchase ALL your CDs, so I hope our service and small cut in selling
your CDs is satisfactory.

LIVE MUSIC AT LENORA'S ROOM
Stumptown Dance (my dance biz) is collaborating with Swing Time (by
Russ Bruner) to bring WEEKLY live bands into my new ballroom
(beginning May 2008), Lenora's Room in downtown Portland.  If you are
interested in performing at our venue, please let me know.  If you are
interested in having us sell your CDs, email me your contact number
and I will call you.  I am excited about this CD project...I think all
parties win, most importantly the dancers!

Larry Peacock
8585 SW Pine Street
Tigard, OR 97223

503-957-3369 cell