[Dixielandjazz] Another Stake In The Heart Of Professional Musicians

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Apr 22 12:04:13 PDT 2008

My experience with subs has been mixed to the point that I prefer to find my
own guy that at least I have heard or worked with.  Hiring guys from the
union hall has been a disaster and I learned very early on to never do it.
It takes special talent to walk into any band and do well.  There are some
gigs that I won't take for any money.  One is playing lead alto in a big
band on a book I have never read.  Any other part but that.  I'm also
getting away from playing Mickey books too.  My reading chops aren't what
they were 20 years ago.

Steve --Then as I became their major employer, they would cancel
> other gigs to take mine.

You can't blame them for that.

 Steve - Most band leaders let their
> regulars take a high paying gig outside,

The guy that plays cornet for me often takes other gigs and when he hires me
I do the same but we both have access to other players that can do a good
job.  We prefer to work together but when a buck calls elsewhere we follow
it.  Both my gigs and his pay us as leaders much more than the other guy
pays so we just have a working arrangement.  We try to give each other as
much notice as possible.  It works for us pretty well that way.

One of the reasons I don't like to have someone send a sub is that piano
players usually don't know other piano players and so on down the line or at
least not many anyway.  I like to pick guys that will fit the gig and will
fit with me.  I also know that there are some guys that just don't like to
play with others.  I can't expect my side guys to know those things.  All I
need is some guy to send a sub that another player refuses to work with or
doesn't like.  If I do that it's my own fault.

Over the years I haven't had that many gigs blow up but like hitting my
thumb with a hammer I do remember them and why.  I'm not anxious to repeat
any mistakes or even take a chance on it if I can avoid it.

Larry
STL