[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Another Stake In The HeartofProfessionalMusicians

Diann Franks swingbanjo at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 08:51:32 PDT 2008

I knew a Tenor Sax player , who had played with the Big Bands . He was talking with friend [the drummer] .Talking on this very subject, comparing notes on all the various bands that they were with , both big and small , jazz ,swing ,and dance. Well Joe Girard said to Vern Glaeser ,"This is the Last Chapter"   ...Diann

edmetzsr at aol.com wrote:  Larry,?in case you haven't been looking,?this technology has been around for 25 years and in all that time, they still haven't figured out how to keep those electric player pianos in tune, at least in those Malls and Medical Offices I've frequented. I take exception to the notion that musical reality is changing rapidly. That's simply not true. Check back on the Musicians Union Monthly tabloid for a long number of years.
These devices are?also not very good at taking requests. But then again, neither is the St. Louis Symphony. They're also not too adept at changing keys, skipping beats and rushing to keep up with the?75 year old guy who thinks he can sing like Frank Sinatra - you know, the brother of the guy who hired you.?So far, I haven't seen one at any of the 150 or so Jazz Festivals that people on this list concern themselves with primarily. That's also true of DJs.
Look, if you want to lower your professional self to the point where you drag a bunch of reeds out to be accompanied by a box full of electronics, that's your business. There's a guy I saw the other day that does the same thing at a local Flea Market with an alto sax case sitting out in front of him. Nice!!!
As a pianist, we've had to deal with "schlepping" keyboards around for at least 25 years. We've also had the unusual pleasure of working with drum machines for longer than I care to remember. I hate it. But I do it in large measure, because I enjoy working with other musicians, creating "live" music. Enough said for this, the DJML.
More than technology is nipping at the heels of those who decide not to hire fellow musicians. Wait until the day when everyone will have to be a keyboard player. That is something that is rapidly approaching. Respectfully,
Ed Metz

Musical reality is changing fast. People no longer need to hire anyone to have music. That music could be a DJ or an electric player piano sitting in a medical building. Those profound changes are now nipping at the heels of everyone.