[Dixielandjazz] Overamplification

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Mon Apr 21 12:41:22 PDT 2008

To: DJML and Kent Murdick

>From Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

>Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:19:31 -0500

>From: Kent Murdick <kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu>

>Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Over amplification

>This is a problem everywhere.  I think that the people who control the

>sound - the "sound" men - are not involved in the music.  Even small

>bands that don't need any amplfication for their venue will be over amped.

Kent et al—likely that the sound men are hearing-impaired.

Allow me a short illustrative anecdote.  Our jazz society once hired a local
jazz/blues guitarist to lead a group.  His guitar was plugged into a system
on the stage and then connected to soundboard.  The sound was unpleasantly
loud and we spoke to the man at the soundboard and were told that he
couldn’t reduce the volume as it was controlled by guitarist’s box on stage.

At intermission, we spoke to the guitarist about the matter.  He said that
he regretted that if he turned down the volume, he would be unable to hear
the music himself.

The audiologists are all aware of this growing deafness in the population.
It is pervasive because of the loud music in homes, personal sound equipment
( I-pods and equivalent) as well as concert halls.

In addition, in our section of the Southland, there are hunters who don’t
wear protective hearing devices when they fire their guns.

Norman

Checked by AVG.
8:34 AM