[Dixielandjazz] Bing McCrosby

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 16 17:15:02 PDT 2008

> "Tobermorey" is surely Tobermory, Scottish waters and the topic of a
> Scottish song, such as the one discussed at the address below. If it's
> the same song, there's the answer.  That's the best I can do while
> being faithful to the inquirer's injunction not to waste time.
> www.rampantscotland.com/songs/blsongs_tobermory.htm

Dear Robert,
Further to this thread (and thanks for your help), it may be that the
McBing version has an Irish twist.
They're good at that. I know, I'm from old Irish stock (notwithstanding
the Haesler name given to me by my step-father).
My wife is a born-Scot, and yes, we have been to Tobermorey on Mull.
Chris Tyle's link for what is probably the Bing song gives the
following composer credit:
       "Tobermory Bay" 1953 Lyrics and music by: Johnny Reine, Kenneth
North & Jimmy Harper.
I have asked my mate to check his MCA LP to see if it has Irish or
Scots influenced lyrics.
OKOM content?
Bing had a lot of jazzmates.
Kind regards,